What’s summer without a cool, refreshing drink?
Try this sweet and spicy libation.
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 drops natural clove oil or ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorn
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1¼ cup cherries, halved and pitted
- sparkling soda
In a medium saucepan, bring water, brown sugar, and cloves to a boil. Add peppercorn, cinnamon stick, vanillas, almond extract, and cherries. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, strain, and allow mixture to cool. Note: mixture should resemble syrup.
Fill 8 ounce glass with ice cubes. Add 2 tablespoons of syrup, and top with sparkling soda.
Refrigerate remaining syrup in a closed container for up to 2 weeks.